Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March week 3

What a nice couple of days we've had, finally being able to go outside without a coat. There are so many things blooming now I can't keep track of them all.

Bulbs included:
grape hyacinths,
spring snowflake,
daffodils,
and hyacinth, to name a few.
Shrubs included:
winter jasmine (is it really a shrub?)
flowering quince,
daphne,and the winter holdover below, winterberry. And you can still find camellias, witchhazel, and contorted hazel looking gorgeous.
Trees included:
red maple, cornelian dogwoods, the saucer magnolia below,star magnolia,
pear,
and this plum. I think it's a plum. All these early spring bloomers, apricots, plums, cherries, pears, apples—they all kind of blur together for me.
And though they're not as showy, red cedars are covered with (kind of) interesting brown male flowers.
You can see the rest of my week 3 photos on flickr.

7 comments:

JCharlier said...

Man alive, you're about three weeks or more ahead of us. It's nice to see some color, even if it's on a screen. Hey - that's Villandry behind you in your profile picture -- isn't it? I'd recognize those phallic-shaped trees anywhere.

Les said...

Yes, things are in full riot mode. I really like the grape hyacinth photo.

Aaerelon said...

It's nice to see a taste of things to come. Our snow drops and witch hazel are flowering. The first crocuses should open tomorrow. Very nice photos!

How It Grows said...

You've got sharp eyes JCharlier!

tina said...

I need to go check my winter jasmine now that I've seen them on all the blogs. It is not looking good here. That quince is one of the best looking ones I've ever seen. Neat how the flowers appear to be variegated. My star magnolia just began opening yesterday and I tell you I'm in heaven. The scent is the best! You guys are a few days ahead of us but like you said, things are popping every day. Happy Spring to you!

eblacroix said...

You're even a little ahead of us here in Richmond...the grape hyacinths haven't appeared yet and the daffodils are just starting to open. The star magnolia trees are gorgeous, though! My new favorite...

Love the blog!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

How did I miss this posting? Oh well, here now. :-)
I love all the spring blooms. I will have to look more closely on the Eastern Redcedars for the blooms.
Our quince in the Learning Garden is really putting on its best show in a number of years. I need to have one!